The first edition was set to take place from late September to early October 2008 in India, after the tournament organisers resolved various teething problems that had put the inaugural tournament under some doubt, but it was later announced that the tournament would be held from December 3 to December 10, 2008.
The tournament was postponed again following terrorist attacks in Mumbai in November 2008 and later cancelled, with the first tournament now scheduled for October 2009.
There are a total of twelve teams in the Champions League T20 Cricket, namely:
- Deccan Chargers, India
- Bangalore Royal Challengers, India
- Delhi Daredevils, India
- New South Wales Blues, Australia
- Victoria Bushrangers, Australia
- Cape Cobras, South Africa
- Diamond Eagles, South Africa
- Otago Volts, New Zealand
- Trinidad & Tobago, West Indies
- Wayamba, Sri Lanka
- Sussex, England
- Somerset, England